Posted on 11-25-2013
Most table food is bad for your pet, especially food that is high in fat. Fatty foods can lead to digestive problems such as vomiting and diarrhea. Ham, gravy, turkey skin, chocolate and bones are some of the worst items you can give your dog during the holiday season. Overindulging in fatty foods can lead to upset stomach, diarrhea, or even a life-threatening condition called pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas).
Cooked turkey bones are dangerous to your dog. They are very sharp and can splinter, lodging in your dog's intestines. These splinters can perforate your dog's intestines causing leakage into the abdominal cavity which can lead to severe peritonitis and death in the majority of cases.
Sage, the main herb used on turkey, can also cause digestive upset and central nervous system disorders in large quantities.
Onions!!! Are extremely toxic and cause a dangerous form of anemia that may not be detected immediately.
Uncooked dough for bread or rolls can cause an intestinal obstruction. Dough rises when it hits the warm stomach, causing pain, vomiting and bloat.
Alcohol consumption can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, coordination problems, breathing issues and tremors. In severe cases, your pet can fall into a coma and die.
Chocolate contains methylxanthine (caffeine) and can trigger vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, panting and increased urination. More severe symptoms include tremors, abnormal heart rhythms and death. Chocolate also contains theobromine, another toxic element causing restlessness, vomiting and muscle spasms. Just 4 ounces of milk chocolate could be lethal in small dogs. Unsweetened baking chocolate and dark chocolate contain the highest amounts of theobromine, but it's best for Fido to stay away from any source of chocolate.
Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and even death. Apples, pears, oranges, bananas and seedless watermelon can be safely given to your pet in moderation.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in a number of products, but especially sugar free gum, cookies and candies. It causes an insulin release which leads to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Your pet may start to vomit, have coordination problems and lethargy. There symptoms can progress to seizures and liver failure in just a few days.
It's best not to feed your pet from the table, as you can see why! It's better not to start, but if you do, please beware they may harm your pet and cost you a lot of money to treat. Usually pancreatitis cases require a hospital stay of at least 3 days and cost hundreds, if not a thousand dollars in expenses.
Should you have a problem with you pet over the holidays, we will be available on November 30th from 8am-12pm for your pet's needs. We will be closed in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday on November 27th at 12pm through November 29th. Please call 352-528-3119.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.